We have some gardening tips for you to keep in mind for May as you putter around the yard:
Tips for Gardens:
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs such as Forsythia and Lilac right after flowering to improve shape and control growth. Pruning too late will remove next year’s flowers.
- Plant annuals for seasonal color after the threat of frost has passed.
- Cut back spring bulb stalks but leave the foliage, if yellowing. Daffodil leaves – you gather a handful and tie in a knot or wrap with elastics.
Tips for Lawns:
- Apply the first application of fertilizer to your lawn.
- Apply grub control, if needed.
- Check to make sure the lawn mower blade is sharp. A dull blade will shred or tear grass blades, making them more prone to external stresses and pests.