You may be wondering why you need to be safe when gardening or landscaping. What could be dangerous in a garden?
Here are a few tips on how to be safe. Plan ahead to have everything you need at hand….
- Depending on what you want to do to create your garden and property, it is always advisable to check “under” your property – i.e. gas lines, wiring, water pipes, etc. You may not have considered what you will find when you dig down far enough and not only can it be dangerous, it could create a very expensive repairs.
- Gardening gloves are a must for protection from sharp objects in the soil, insect bites, allergic reactions, toxic ingredients in fertilizers, gardeners tools like trowels, etc. and the list goes on. Fully read directions on all the materials you will be in contact with. You might even need to get a mask, if some ingredients are toxic.
- Are you going to move heavy objects – stone or quantities of earth, larger plants or shrubs or young trees or patio stones, bags of gardening materials like fertilizer, grass seed, etc? You are going to need a wheelbarrow to move them
- Gardening can be hard work. If you are a new gardener, be mindful of the stress to unused muscles and joints. And even if you don’t have back issues, you may develop some new aches and pains you didn’t anticipate. There are cushioned pads to kneel on and small portable stools you can use to sit on to ease strains.
- Last but not least, be prepared with sunscreen and sunglasses and possibly a hat. Hours in the sun can do harm.
Now that you are ready, go create that beautiful garden or backyard you’ve dreamed of! There is nothing so rewarding as working to provide a beautiful outside space you and your friends and family can enjoy!